Redvers Davies wrote:
I'm not saying it's the best implementation in the world but its simple,
free and I like it.

IMAP.

Why re-invent the wheel.

1) Notification of mailbox changes (IE, immediate notification of new
email).
2) Ability to scan headers.
3) Random access.

Basically:

My calls to vonage get automatically emailed.to my imap server.  I have
a specific imap account for these calls which go to my cellphone.  I can
see who the call is from before I download the messages.

The infrastructure is simple, it would just require some application
development on the openmoko to make it look like a voicemail client.

3/4 of the wheel is there.  Why re-invent it?

Regards,

Red
Yeah, that sounds like a really great solution.
But it has two drawbacks:
- You have to use vonage
- You need IP network access in order to get the emails

But as I said I am looking towards a solution that doesn't depend on IP network and is mostly carrier independent. So I think it is (at least in the beging) inescapable to setup your own voicemail server. The server then could use many different ways to communicate with the phone, either email or sms or direct gsm connection. But what we need is a consistent protocol for each of this method and not many in form of a carrier specific protocol. You do not want to write hundreds of parsers. So our server would you send an sms or if you have a IP network connection an email and than would display its content nicely on the screen with the ability to press on the entry an immediately hear your voicemail.

I really like the idea of Wilhelm Chung to use sms to notify you about missed calles and parse the date and caller out of it. My current carrier sends me sms with only date. Well that would be start, but you would have to write a parser for each carrier and each language used. And even then direct access to the voicemails would be quite complicated, because they first tell you what voicemails you have wait and than you can choose which you want to hear.

So I think we should workout some kind of a protocol for both gsm/sms based and ip-network/imap based access to voicemails. And also we should constantly talk to telkos and ask them what they think about this and where they see possibilities to implement visual voicemails.

I for myself see huge potential to create visual voicemail system with the help of the openmoko community and establish a new way to interact with your phone not only for voicemails.

Lars