I don't want to keep this on this list too long unless people are interested in the conversation.

I want gui a) because i can, and b) because i intend to have onboard display of things such as integrating GPS w/ google maps for location and directions.

This is also a testbed project for further development for my volunteer fire department. Onboard address mapping, database information on incident address and immediate hazardous material references onboard. It's also a precursor to electronic incident reporting in the field v.s. pen & paper reports after returning to station It doesn't have to be SOC, it can be a non-discrete unit but should remain semi thin and small. The current ~2inch square devices are quite appealing.

It does need to be powerful enough to drive a simple X11 display with some typical Linux software installed. A standard 2.5" laptop harddrive is entirely sufficient. I'm not sure I want to use a USB or flash devices as the boot/operating drive yet - I could be swayed. A base Linux distro like damn-small-linux is a great reference.

-david

Brandon Price wrote:
How embedded did you want to go. You mentioned wanting a gui; is there a reason there? If you don't absolutely need the gui then look into something like a soekris board such as that used in the stompbox (google it), or if you NEED a gui maybe you should look into something like a mini itx box booting from a compact flash card. If I knew more about your project I could tell you more.