Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
Hi!

On 1/29/07, Graham Auld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bryce Leo
Sent: 29 January 2007 14:31
To: community@lists.openmoko.org
Subject: Re: Phone enhancements

>  You'd have to be doing some serious zigzagging: resolution of GPS at

I'd have to agree on this one, I use GPS systems in several areas and
generally see resolutions between 2 and 10 meters on average with 5-6 sats
in use.

Granted to detect zig zags you'd need to be quite careful with how you used
the data, telling the difference between weaving and dodging pot holes...

Maybe I should light the touch paper and suggest this be a use for the
famous accelerometer that's been mentioned so much ;-)

Yes, the accelerometer :) .  And, now that we are at it, why we just

To do inertial guidance, you need to know your initial speed/direction, and the accellerations after that time. However, with a 2 or even 3 axis accellerometer in the neo, you can't reliably do this, as there is no way of determining which direction the neo faces.

The constant accelleration of gravity helps with long term disambiguation, somewhat, though it's possible in a plane for example to fly into the ground, ending up inverted pulling 1G towards the ground, without the water in a glass of water on the console ever moving.

The phone can't tell between you spinning round horizontally with the phone in your outstretched arm, from you braking from high speed.

To do this it needs an orientation reference of some sort, a 3-axis compass, or gyros.

Micromachined gyros these days are not very expensive, neither are accellerometers, but you're still looking at maybe $30 in volume, and the resultant position rapidly gets inaccurate, drifting a few degrees a minute, and a meter a second a so a minute. (for an uncertainty of maybe 30m radius after 1m, 3Km after 10m.

(there is significant tradeoff of accuracy vs cost, you can get maybe 10 times better than this, more gets into the range that you need to go to fiber optic gyros, which will not fit in any reasonable phone)