Ben,

A few years ago I posed the same question to a T-Mobile sales guy. He handed
me a working demo phone to take around for a few days. I took it back the
next day and signed up.

I wouldn't get the cheapest phone they offer. Remember the first edition of
the OpenMoko device is geared for developers. You may still need a true
'production' quality phone until 4Q '07.

Mark