Michael,

>> While one -can- get OE/BB running under OSX, at least theoretically, it's not as simple as doing it under Linux

shouldn't we just join forces and craft an Installer package for getting OE installed directly on a Mac?

IMHO, needing to install some VM and a full Linux one of the best *ix machines just because Linux developers have the tendency to invent an then use a lot of not well documented command line tools you have never heared of is some overkill...

Distributing an OE.pkg would be much better...

The main idea is:

* make a shell script (called as preinstall) that creates a case sensitive "/Developer/OE.sparseimage" (fixed location so to avoid confusion) * get all the additional command line tools it needs to "/opt/local/ bin" from Fink or OpenDarwin (either load at install time or provide some stable binaries)
* provide the basic files needed in the "stuff" directory
* wrap that all into an installer .pkg file by using PackageMaker

So, you download OE.pkg, and double click. This will install everything and leave you with "/Volumes/OE" as your "stuff" directory.

The problem I have: http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/BuildOnOSX describes everything but I understand only half of it.

Nikolaus