Paul Bonser wrote:
On 2/20/07, Perry E. Metzger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>> which seems to have a lot of what you're looking for (a lot of the
>> discussion on the various mailling lists seems to end up getting
>> distilled into wiki articles).
>
> It's interesting to note that most youngsters seem to prefer forums, and most > of us old-timers (IIRC you're my age, Joe) prefer mailing lists. I wonder why
> that is?

The youngsters have seen a lot of web based posting systems, don't
remember usenet, don't have decent email systems that segregate lists
into different boxes, and thus don't understand why anyone would use
email or what the problems of web posting systems are.

Perry
You talk about it like usenet isn't around anymore.
I'm 23 and I remember usenet. It came in handy back in the day when I
was learning C++. I think that proper threading is much more useful
than the linear "threads" in web forums these days..

its fully possible in some forums to have proper threading...

and yes, im familiar with usenet. i even have a list of groups set up in thunderbird that i have not checked in ages...

Anyway, I suppose that despite the fact that I might be considered a
"youngster", I consider myself much less "technologically young" that
most people my age.

good for you :)