t3st3r wrote:
Simon Norberg wrote:
Hello,
I mailed Richard Stallman a while ago regarding a few things including what he thought about openmoko and his answer was:

I could endorse it if they get rid of the plan to use non-free
software for the GPS.

I don't think the answer surprise anyone, but atleast we know for sure now. And i really hope we can replace the non-free GPS software as soon as possible or atleast before the public release.

Regards
Simon Norberg

As for me, I'm have to ask few "unfair" questions.
1) Why there should be some closed-source daemon which does some unknown things?And why should I trust it, if I have no idea what it does? 2) As I understand, to fully use features of AGPS I should send some data to some server over network, without really having any idea what

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Hardware:AGPS

Basically - the worst cases, no.

You can completely ignore AGPS - it isn't needed unless you need a fast position within a couple of minutes of the phone being off in a drawer for months. If you're using the phone normally, then you never need to download any assistance data at all.