Someone was telling me about a nano technology that could do this, but it's
not anywhere near a product yet. But a good application might accelerate the
transition from lab to product. Wish I could remember where I heard that...

Another one I heard about was a way of generating a location-specific
electrical charge, just strong enough to cause a sensation as your finger
passed over it. Don't know where this was on the scale of lab vs. product, but
might be worth looking into.

I'll try to get more info on both of these.