Would you post more details about this please?  I have used JTAG for
programming Atmel micros but am not yet very familiar with how it is
used for "system exploration" when there are multiple devices on the
bus.  What is your favorite hardware and software for doing this?

Good points, Joe and Rod.

To add to this, consider that this device has a JTAG port, and that you can
buy the necessary interface card and cable for $150, and that the debugger is
open source.

So even with though the hardware was not promised to be open, we have
tremendous visibility into it.