Frederic Kettelhoit wrote:
But there is a redesign of the board for the accelerometers, the wifi, and the 3D Accleration. It would not be much more work to put a connector under the top case. So if you want to play games, you just take the top case and the back case, remove them, take the new gaming cases, add them. The little hole below the screen would be removed, instead of it, there would be a d-pad. I am not a hardware engineer, but the OpenMoko project built a whole phone, so it should be easy to add some small buttons, I think.

I have in the past suggested an additional connector inside the phone.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Expansion_Back

This would bring out:
Battery +
3.3V
USB D+ (simply connected to the external connector)
USB D-
SPI SCLK
SPI MOSI
SPI MISO
SPI SS
0V

A connector similar to Digikey HFL110CT-ND - a 10 way vertical mount cable connector next to the battery connector. This is around $.30 at 1000, and slightly cheaper ones are availabe.

In use, this is coupled to a replacement or modified middle-case of plastic, (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Image:Gta01b_v3_case_empty_white.jpg ) which with a bit of FPC goes to a connector mounted on the middle-case that engages with a modified back when plugged in.

A much cheaper alternative would be to bring any of these signals not present out to an enlarged debug connector. This would mean that a $10 or so adaptor cable would be needed for anyone with an old debug board, but...

A small flex cable would then again be used to bring the ~10 wires - eliminating unneeded ones - back out to another user-accessible connector.