On 7/14/07, Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Rod Whitby writes:
>Is there anyone who is involved in hardware development and seriously
believes that the cost of an upgrade board (which necessarily will
have all the stuff like the LCD attached to it, cause they are not
end-user replaceable parts) will be any cheaper than the cost of a
whole phone?

Why won't the LCD be a user-replaceble part?  It certainly was in my
old Palm III; the screens I've encountered in the past have connected
to their devices with a, well, connector!

I think one can even see the connector on the mainboards photo...

>The stuff that is not replaced is just some bits of plastic ...

Also, of course, there won't be a need for a new microSD nor
batteries...

And the debug board, the antenna. Seriously, it does make a difference.

Moreover, if some new boards had to be sent to the beta testers in a
given country, that could all be sent at once and then dispatched by a
local OpenMoko group. freight cost would also be a lot less.

I do myself wonder if it is possible. I am tempted to buy my Neo now,
but I'm not ready to pay a second phone in October to get the new
functionalities. I'd rather wait... $450 is a lot of money, even
though I can afford it.

I'm sure the guys at OpenMoko are very busy right now shipping all the
phones. I heard Sean mentioning that they were thinking about
'eventually' shipping spare parts separately. I sure we'll hear more
about it later...