On 7/24/07, wim delvaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 02:08:32 Daniel Robinson wrote:
> I already use my browser to read my email.  I use Gmail to handle the
mail
> from my domain.  I can read it at home, at the coffee house or at my day
> job.

great for you but AFAIK almost all ISP offer reading mail from their web
page
so GMAIL, hotmail, yahoo etc are all obsolete.

I also use gmail to collect the mail from various pop3 servers, so I can
read them at home, in the other flat, at work or at work,  gmail has a very
good spam filter and also the labelling is really cool. But that's not tht
point.

> The argument that you have to start your browser seems thin to me.  What
is
> a mail reader if not an application as complex as a browser?

well most mail readers are integrated in your desktop and impose far less
overhead when checking for email.  Also you can do nice filtering and
other
scanning for stuff.  Also YOU control your email box and not the
application
that your 'web'-mail provider has made available to you.

The point is: most people just start their mail client, read their mail and
close it. So it#s like starting the browser, reading the forum and closing
it.

> A forum allows the _writer_ to sort the posting.  I have yet to find an
> email filtering program that does works in a more than rudimentary
fashion.
> A forum can be searched for keywords in much the same way that an email
> list can be searched.

I do not get that ... what do you mean by the 'writer' and sorting ? my
mail
application (Kontact of KDE) allows searching for ANY data in ANY part of
the
mail (body subject etc)

Ok, in a forum i can post in the category "Developemnt" subcategory
"Applications" subcategory "Graphics". Or "Community->
Marketing->Advertisment". And if you don't want to read a category, you
simply skip it. And every half decent forum has a built-int search, per
title, author, timerange, content, categroy, etc.

> Posts stay on a forum.  Much of the email on this list goes into the bit
> bucket for me.  Advertising?  Marketing?  We don't have a working phone
> yet.

Well most mailing lists collect the email too.  All mailing lists I have
subscribed to have a page on which you can scan through the archive.

That's true, but scanning through a mailing list can be really annoying if
you're not familiar with the system. and moste people aren't.

So I like the mailing list system, but I read my mail 3 times a day. If some
normal user, maybe 56k connection, who connects 2 times a week, has to stay
online a hour just to download the las 187 mails from the list, this isn't
really the best solution. For development work, the list is perfect. But for
support/community not. IMO the comminity list should be changed into a
forum, with a good category structure, ant the development lists should stay
here.Then every decent forum allows to recive e-mails on new threads, and
also posting per mail shouldnt be difficult to achieve with a bit of a
hacjing around with phpbb (or wathever we would like to use). The point is
that most aren't really intrested in reading everything that's posted, but
if you post on a mailing list, you have to download all the mail to know if
someone answerd your question.

--
My corner of the web: http://ramsesoriginal.wordpress.com
My dream, my world: http://abenu.wordpress.com