I'll second the "disappointed" verdict. But, then again, were we
really expecting Commissioners Tate, McDowell and Martin to see the
light and pursue the public interest instead of incumbent
telco/cableco interests? Really?? The "compromise" struck will likely,
as most FCC orders tend to, be litigated beyond recognition and
ultimately maintain the status quo; i.e. domination by a small group
of incumbents as deregulation proponents assure us all the while that
anti-trust will protect us. I must admit, I was looking for a
potential alternative broadband possibility and not with openmoko as
much in mind.

You'd think this would be a real win for openmoko . . . ha ha ha,
whoah, let me catch my breath . . . let's wait and see the specific
language of the order and then see what people think.

On 8/1/07, Kyle Bassett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am disappointed.  I wanted the FCC to support "open networks" and "open
> services" as well.  I really hope Google wins this thing...for the sake of
> projects like ours.
>
> In today's society, we are at the mercy of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. in
> terms what we are required to pay for mobile phone and internet access.  I
> am not a fan of regulation myself (the reason I support open source
> products) but by providing those 4 open requirements, I think it would
> really help to cut down on some of these monopolies.
>
> Honestly, I feel it's ridiculous that this "utility" is not better managed.
> So many great innovations would come from having an open mobile network
> (that does not have a primary objective of making money).
>

> -Kyle
>

> On 8/1/07, Dean Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > The most important meeting probably globally regarding the future of
> wireless communications happened yesterday.
> >
> http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/700-mhz-spectrum-auction.html
> >
> > Any thoughts in the OpenMoko community?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Dean Collins