It might be worth reusing/reimplementing SCIM or other multilingual dictionary system (http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html) instead of T9. I have used SCIM with Gnome on Ubuntu Linux to convert pinyin to mandarin. I think SCIM also plays nice with X, and I assume it would not be too difficult to make it convert "number-speak" to English. So, the hardest part would probably be building the dictionary, and getting the whole thing to build and fit on the phone.
AFAIK, there is a Linux Mobile-Phone design house uses SCIM for thier product in China. In fact, I plan to port SCIM to openmoko after openmoko runs OK on my A1200 or I get a Neo. :) And a good news is I remember Sean mentioned in ML that Openmoko development team has an input method expert. ;)

Alex Zhang