On Thursday 22 November 2007 10:56, Shaul Kedem wrote:
> Hi,
>  One of his ways out of this is "Google releasing the source and
> someone else compiling for ARMv4." now google said they will open the
> source (they have no choice, its GPLv2) so I'd wait and see what
> happens,

<rant>
It's not GPLv2 until they actually release it under that license, until now
they seem to release only the part they absolutely have to.
I am pretty sure Google is not going to release anything allowing anyone to
run Android on a actual phone until the first official Android phone has had
it's head-start. They will do so to allow their 'partners' a head start, they
need to do this to keep them on board. After all, why join a consortium when
everybody else gets the same thing? There are some companies in that
consortium with notoriously bad track records when it comes to open-source,
they did not just change overnight just because Google told them to.
First the partners will get to reap Android, after that maybe the community
will get something. Welcome to open-source the Google way.

Ofcourse this doesn't stop Google from claiming they are so very open... Fact
is, they may be a huge user of open-source, they are a lousy contributor and
a lousy community member. For now, i'd rather buy an iPhone, just because at
least it doesn't pretend to be open.
</rant>

AVee