On Jan 11, 2008, at 5:56 AM, Schmidt András wrote:
In my opinion there is nothing that the root account can protect on a single user handheld device.
Phones are normally used single user.
When an application gets the rights for that user then it can access all personal information and all network resources (Wifi, GSM network). What else remains? What resource would you protect with the root account?

If this is a sincere question, I'd really encourage you to give the OLPC bitfrost spec a read:

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

Unfortunately, the conclusion you've drawn is completely wrong. I'm very interested in the OLPC Bitfrost work - I think it has application in the wider sphere of Linux implementations, and the OpenMoko environment is a classic case.