Shawn Rutledge wrote:
What is your favorite Linux CAD tool for actual 3D work?
I have to agree with the people that say Blender is a high quality program. For a simple 3D editor I would suggest something like Art of Illusion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_of_Illusion). In my opinion that would would be a simpler application to use before moving to something more powerful like Blender.

Can you generate CAM paths with Blender?
What type of CAM files/input do you have in mind? I know both Blender & AOI support .stl files and a few others. Plugins are available for both. Are you asking about CNC G-code or something else?