Currently I am using the version supplied by GoXbox Live which has the GPS
added. It is working quite nicely, especially since I discovered that
If you ask a second time for a change of input method for SMS,
the predictive keyboard is replaced by a very satisfactory real one,
only slightly predictive.   (I haven't yet tried VOIP).

What I am hoping is that someone knows of a Terminal Application which could be installed and which uses that second keyboard or something similar.
Terminal is the one thing that the Openmoko version has that makes it
Linux rather than just a phone. The Keyboard in the Terminal of the OpenMoko version was very nice initially, but a some time back it was changed so that the letters on the keys require a magnifier to read them.

clare