My Neo1973 had a protector sheet on it when it arrived back in July.
It had a small tab in one corner to pull it off with which I cut back
a bit. It is pulled away very slightly at one edge, and has tiny imperfections so I am sure it is still there. It is invisible in use.

At one time you had to buy them to fit the particular device, but I saw a
general purpose one you cut to size yourself in "Dick Smith"s last week.

clare