Hi Alexey,

I appreciate your input. Comments below:

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:04:49 +0200, Michael Shiloh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As you will see, I have a lot more to fill in, but I would welcome your feedback on what is already there, and suggestions for topics you think should be included.

Chapter 4 describes installation of the SIM card, MicroSD card and the battery as if they were one task, while in fact it's three different ones. It's probably necessary to remove the battery to access the card holders; if so, it should be mentioned.

Good point. I was assuming an out-of-the-box install, but it wouldn't hurt to make that explicit.

Each of the SIM card and MicroSD
card can be replaced without disturbing the other one, can't they?

Nope, it's a LIFO stack. From the top it's battery, SIM, Micro SD.
Gotta take it all out to get at the Micro SD.

However, these clarifications and breaking down into three tasks is probably not worth the hassle, as the developers are going to figure it out anyway, and I hardly remember myself ever using a manual to replace the SIM card in any phone.

That's because most phones don't have such complicated SIM card holders.

Actually, here's my theory:

Anyone who has NEVER had a GTA01 will figure out the SIM card holder.

Anyone who has had a GTA01 will take awhile to get used to the fact that the card holder locks and unlocks in the opposite direction compared to GTA01.

The text mentins "provided" accessories several times. However, the next deliveries after the some number of the first ones may not include them.

Yeah, I'll have to update this once we decide what's in and what's not.

Chapter 7 should describe how to find out the current image versions and how to use dfu_util (or where to read about it). It should also tell what happens to the user data when the root filesystem is updated.

Yikes! That's a very important point. Thanks!

Chapter 8 should describe how to build the toolchain yourself (how is the prebuilt one made?) in case you're not exactly on Intel/Linux.

True, but I'm trying to keep it simple. Once I document everything else, perhaps I'll come back and tackle this.

Putting stuff in /usr/local/openmoko is against FHS. If the package insists on installing everything in one directory, it should be /opt/openmoko. But this isn't a problem of this guide.

Agreeed, and will probably change.

Chapter 8 mentions downloading the package to /tmp (where you might not have write access because it's not mentioned in the prerequisites)

The beauty of /tmp is that everyone is guaranteed to have write access. As I understand it, that's why it was created.

 and
later unpacking them as if they were in ~/sources.

That's a bug and I will fix it right away.

Again, thanks for your excellent feedback

Michael