cdce[1] is the ethernet -over-usb driver in FreeBSD. To test it, you
    can do 'kldload if_cdce', then see the man page.
    Last time I tested it, it worked without problems.

The cdce driver is also in OpenBSD (and presumably NetBSD); on Open at least it is in the generic kernel so you don't have to worry about modloading it or testing for it.

The name is not arbitrary, btw. The USB standard defines these things as "Communication Device Class - Ethernet".

The BSDs like to give things real names like that, compared to Linux's somewhat boring technique of calling all network devices "eth" (even ones that don't actually use Ethernet). I guess it's just a style thing... (he says, trying to duck the resulting flamefest)...