On Monday 02 June 2008 01:21:03 Christian Benke wrote:
> So who of you is thinking about buying the new iphone instead of an
> openmoko in case the technical specs really improve(3G, better
> resolution)?
> I'd love to have a open smartphone, but there are so many compromises
> with the openmoko project(hardware lacks, formfactor,
> unfinished software) and the timing for the release is bad unfortunately
> (on the other side the people interested in openmoko are not
> necessarily interested in the iphone - However, i guess there will be
> some people who drop the idea of buying a moko after next weeks apple
> conference...)

Really? I don't think so. Neither the Neo1973 nor the FreeRunner were ever
playing in the same league as the iPhone. It's a completely different product
for a completely different target audience.

The iPhone is an attractive mass market ready end user product with high-end
hardware. It discourages tinkering with most parts of the system and embraces
closed source software.

The FreeRunner is the first free (as in speech) mobile phone you can buy in
quantities. It's a great developer board in a phone case. It encourages
tinkering with all parts of the system and embraces open source software.

As for the compromises in the hardware, that's the price you have to pay when
your paradigm is freedom. This may change in future as we might see silicon
vendors opening up, but it's a long way to go. Not much to argue or whine
about, really.

</my personal take on that>

:M: