On Sunday 31 August 2008 15:50:05 Al Johnson wrote:
> The patch turns on the echo and noise suppression capabilities in the GSM
> chipset using one of the hidden and NDA's AT commands someone kindly posted
> on the hardware list.

Just for my understanding: I thought that on my openmoko-phone even the
hardware is supposed to be free and open. How can it be than, that there are
"hidden commands" and NDA's?

I read somewhere (long time ago - before the FR reached its birthday) that
there might be some pieces of hardware not open such as the GSM chip. I guess
exactly this is the case. Could someone experienced to NDA's, copyright laws,
GPL violations and so on please explain me how exactly this is handled here?

Thanks
Michael