Some of you probably knew this, but I just found out that the Freerunner
actually has a couple LEDs under the power button, but they don't seem to be
used yet in 2008.9 stable.  So, I thought it would be helpful to use them as an
external battery power indicator.  If you are like me, I let my phone screen go
black after 60 seconds and go to suspend by button press only, so this is also
helpful to tell if the Freerunner is in suspend or powered on with the screen
off.

Power button blue for high battery, purple for medium, and orange for low.

Perl script and simple instructions:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeRunner/Buttons_and_LEDs#Led_Power_Status_Perl_Script

By the way, suspend mode and the phone itself are working great for me after
figuring out that pulseaudio was causing major problems.  Don't install the
mediaplayer, and if you did...  get rid of pulseaudio and the phone starts
working pretty good.

-Nick