So, this is probably  better for the support list, but, what you're
talking about is possible.
Also, university is useless, getting yourself kicked out may actually be useful.
Howto:
Create two routing tables
echo "20 gprs" >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables

ip route add default via $PPP_ENDPOINT dev ppp0 table gprs
ip rule add from $PPPADDRESS lookup gprs

then keep the other routing table in place, you can manipulate that
without knocking out your PPP connectivity.