I would pre-order in the $300 us range.  500 euro is a little steep for
a board with no case, speakers, touch screen, etc.

It seems like the biggest problems on the GTA-02 were all with closed
modules (wifi, glamo, calypso).  It sounds like a UMTS module would have
to be closed, but if it were loosely coupled to the device (4 usb traces
and an antenna) I think we could work with it.

Since my FR is getting better all the time (2.6.32 speedups have been
great, thanks) I can wait quite a while for a replacement.  I can't
imaging using a closed phone now.

I may be the only person who likes the screen bezel on the freerunner.
I have taken my phone on canoeing and backpacking trips just wrapped in
a dry-bag and only cracked one screen (which is how I ended up with a
second phone).

As for expansion ports, an internal usb hub and some solder pads would
probably meet my needs.  I would think the new device would need a
second usb controller anyways (one in host mode for UMTS and internal
expansion, one in gadget/host mode with an external connector).

Ben