Am 25.10.2010 um 13:09 schrieb W. B. Kranendonk:

> --- On Sat, 10/23/10, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <h...@goldelico.com> wrote:
>> Well, an alternative approach could be to open a funds for
>> a new injection mould. I.e.
>> a "Openmoko Case Production Foundation" (or German e.V.).
>> Everyone who gives
>> some money for the funds can buy cases at a reduced rate.
>> And everyone can buy a case.
> It sounds as a viable alternative.
>
>> An injection mould costs somewhere around 20-100 k EUR. So
>> if we get
>> 300 community members to donate 100 EUR into the funds...
> A friend of mine used to be in the injection mould business; he designed and
> produced the moulds in Vietnam.
> I asked if he got some advice or an idea what the cost would be. I showed him
> my freerunner as example of where we come from. His input:
> - nice design (@freerunner)
> - moulds at 0.2 mm precision are not a problem, 0.1 mm requires more effort
> - depending on design, moulds start at some 6000 euro (or dollar, slipped my
> mind)

Yes, that is the same range what Protomold did quote for the middle part (i.e.
one piece
out of 10 of a complete case). The mould for the Power button is less
expensive: approx. 1500 EUR.

I.e. 10 buttons @ 150 EUR each :)

But - the case is not even produceable by the Protomold process because it has
undercuts which
needs insets and quite complex mechanical constructions for a mould and drives
cost extremely.

> - one case needs more than one mould

Yes. Some parts could be combined in a single mould and then broken apart. Like
in toys
where you do it yourself. But this does not reduce mould construction cost.

> - besides Vietnam, Czech is another country that can provide moulds at
> competitive prices
>
> Cases like that of the Freerunner, with more than one plastic, need more than
> one mould per piece. To say more of the price, it is necessary to have the
> design available. The

Maybe you can ask your friend if he has some contacts to Czech companies (which
would be EU
and simplify import/export). You can contact me by private mail about that.
And, we
have the CAD files of the original Freerunner.

> most affordable option he says, would be to reuse Openmoko's mould if it is
> available.

Yes, I discussed that approach with Sean for quite a while and his team worked
heavily on it (TNX :). But they don't own or have the moulds in their hands.

> All in all nothing conclusive or very new I guess, but I liked to give the
> input anyway.

Yes, it is an independent view which is very important to hear.

BR,
Nikolaus