Hi Nikolaus,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 09:28:20 +0100
"H. Nikolaus Schaller" <h...@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi rhn,
>
> > Am 04.02.2018 um 23:40 schrieb rhn <opcomali....@porcupinefactory.org>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 17:01:55 +0100
> > "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <h...@goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> FOSDEM is over and I am leaving for the airport in 10 minutes :(
> >>
> >> FOSDEM was an as interesting experience as every time.
> >> Many people to meet, many talks, (too) many topics in
> >> parallel... You have to decide how to spend time and know
> >> in advance that you miss 90% of important things.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately I didn't notice any talk, booth, presentation,
> >> material to mention OpenMoko. Except some people who did remember
> >> when we came into talking. But as said I haven't been everywhere :)
> >> So if anyone did see something, please share.
> >
> > OpenMoko was mentioned near the end of FOSDEM at a Birds of Feather phone
> > development event that was organized ad-hoc on Saturday:
> >
> > https://bobsummerwill.com/2018/02/03/helping-purism-not-to-make-the-same-mistakes/
> >

> interesting! I think nobody of our tinkerphones, gta04, Pyra, Replicant
> developers did know about it.
>

> > It was focused on Purism as the most recent contender to the title of a
> > free software phone, but the conversation was really about other platforms,
> > as you might guess from the post.
> >
> > There were people present involved with Purism, Jolla, Postmarket OS,
> > Maemo, Mer, but also Fairphone and Plasma Mobile (sorry about those I
> > forgot). Personally, I regret not meeting any people from Pyra, OpenMoko,
> > ZeroPhone or Replicant, but I hope that at FOSDEM was an anomaly and that
> > the community is not splitting in half :)
>
> To me it looks as if the community is already split in half, because the
> projects you list were "missing" on the list by Bob Summerwill. Well, if
> there had been a dedicated devroom it might have been very different because
> we would have known about a meeting opportunity long before.
>
> Another observation is that Bob's initiative seems to focus on mobile
> software while we are more on the interfaces and down to hardware.
>
> BR and thanks for sharing! Next year... :)
>
> Nikolaus

Some of these projects were indeed missing, but OpenMoko is listed as the third
one ;) (Replicant is also there). You read the message correctly, the
discussion mostly ignored the hardware aspect. However, not all hope is lost,
since Purism and Fairphone both have a strong focus on the hardware, so that
could be a meeting point.

Perhaps it's worth trying to organize a similar event at the next FOSS event,
but this time plan it in advance and bring the *whole* community together?

Cheers,
rhn