Hi,

> Am 03.08.2021 um 16:55 schrieb Paul Boddie <p...@boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Tuesday, 3 August 2021 11:12:58 CEST H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just came across this post (in German):
>> https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/522691
>
> My German is far from sufficient to appreciate this post, and my knowledge of
> Norwegian doesn't make it convenient enough to really digest the content, but
> it sounds like the idea is to retread the path that various projects have
> taken over the years, providing classic mobile functionality (without "app"
> stores and browsers) on a Linux platform. Testing my browser history yielded
> these projects:
>
> http://www.davidhunt.ie/piphone-a-raspberry-pi-based-smartphone/
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/arsenijs/zerophone
> https://zerophone.github.io/newsletter/
>
> I know that the ZeroPhone creator was following this list at one point, so
> maybe he has some perspectives on this kind of thing. Although I was
> skeptical
> about the ZeroPhone to start with, I was looking forward to seeing the end
> result. I still think that these projects are a nice idea, but the economics
> are awkward if not prohibitive, and the compromises that arise from using off-
> the-shelf boards risk making the resulting devices fairly unattractive.

Indeed, such projects can not be run under standard economic goals. But
for tinkerers and hobbyists there is more reward from learning how it is to
be done and having something unique that buying something locked down off
the shelf, even if the latter is cheaper. It is all about price / performance
and "performance" can have different factors.

> Also, I think the software issues are hugely underestimated, particularly
> when
> Linux is brought in as some kind of solution when it is merely a starting
> point, often for a long and punishing process of developing the necessary
> functionality to make such products viable, as I am sure Nikolaus will agree,
> given that we have discussed this elsewhere often enough!

Yes, we are still not back at the GTA04 power management level of the v3.12
kernel although much has been upstreamed up to v5.14-rc3.

And QtMoko is still a ruin to be resurrected...

BR,
Nikolaus