Quoting David Boddie (2022-01-08 22:17:22)
> On Wed Jan 5 01:28:49 CET 2022, Paul Boddie wrote:
> > Actually, a kind of dual personality system might address some of
> > the general issues with vanilla Linux on smartphones, and I suspect
> > that Linux alongside real-time components is a recognised
> > architectural style for some kinds of devices.��
>
> Since various SoCs started to include smaller cores along with the
> bigger, more powerful ones
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE) it makes me wonder if
> it wouldn't be possible to run a lightweight telephony-focused stack
> on the low power core while running full-fat Linux on the high power
> core.
>
> That way, the Linux side of things wouldn't even need to be aware of
> how the telephony is done, and could interact with those components
> using more familiar mechanisms, perhaps similar to ways two hosts on a
> network might talk to each other.

Even current generation PinePhone might be made to run a (very)
lightweight telephony-focused stack, on its embedded 32bit 300MHz AR100
processor.

I maintain the needed compiler for Debian in package gcc-or1k-elf, and
getting Linux compiled seems doable for someone with the skills (i.e.
not me): https://linux-sunxi.org/AR100#Mainline_Kernel_Support

 - Jonas