On Sun Sep 4 22:03:38 CEST 2022, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> But as far as I see all of them are absolute niche an none of them got the
> same attractivity and general public attention as the original Openmoko got
> back in 2007. Well, it is like sending people to the moon for the second
> time. Nice, still challenging technology. But no breakthrough any more. No
> revolutionary approach. Smaller media coverage.

Linux on a phone isn't an interesting topic in itself any more, and even the
phones where the software is open have practical limitations on what you can
run. The idea of a phone where you can "hack" on the OS isn't as appealing
as one where you can write your own apps, especially when most of the effort
on the OS is directed towards a narrow stack of software.

Maybe those involved with OpenMoko could say something about the excitement
around the original phone. Were people excited about the OS, or were they
simply excited about the idea of a phone where you could run your own
software?

David