Kirsten,

The time  planners really learn when a community needs a community garden,  is
when gardeners show up to create one. Creating a community garden and then
inviting folks in to garden there, i.e., top down community gardening, is risky
business at best.  I've found that unlike the "Field of Dreams," sometimes if
you build a community garden top down, without community gardeners in place,
they do not come.

The chicken and egg here is gardeners first, then the gardens they create, the
paradigm being,  "If the gardeners build it, they are already there, and others
will come."

Lenny Librizzi's definition of a community garden(as I remember it) is that ,"
A community garden is a space created by some community members for the whole
community."

 On creating sustainable community gardens.  A careful reading of Jane Jacobs's
work on city planning would reveal that Parks and other public spaces require
the active engagement and patronage of the citizenry - when it comes to
community gardens, this is when the people whom these gardens are supposed to
serve create them in the first place.

Then, once there are real gardens, created by gardeners, then the real work is
to get elected officials and local planners, who are their paid myrmidons, to
classify those community gardens as a legitimate LAND USE under the zoning
resolution of that community.

The suggested land use classification might easiest come under Parks, unless
there are "greens," in the target community who can be persuaded, by all means
necessary ;), to classify community gardens as sites for urban agriculture.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman