Hi Sharon,
If it is plants from different cultures that you are interested in
contacting different cultural groups may also help. My partner is from
eastern Europe and I ask his mum for interesting seeds which aren't
available widely but used in traditional dishes, also from my grandmother
who is Persian. Usually people have been growing plants in their back yards
for years to add that special ingredient which isn't available in stores and
are happy to give away seeds or cuttings. If you don't know people from
cultures which you are interested in I think contacting cultural groups such
as an Italian Club/Vietnamese Social Club... And explaining that you are
interested in plants from their cultures which aren't grown widely in your
area would give you an interesting number of plants and new friends - I have
found that people love to share their culture and plants. Going to fruit and
veg shops which stock items from various cultures sometimes have
plants/fruit with harvest-able seed, this is also true for some spices.

As for Australian native bush food, try:
http://oldvegiepatch.netfirms.com/oz.htm
(this has links to other heritage seed companies in Australia)
http://earthcare.asn.au/bushfood.html
I donĀ¹t know how customs in the USA is for seed exchange, sometimes you'll
need a letter from the seed company to certify that no diseases...etc are
tagging a ride. I understand that for bringing seed into Australia if it is
commercially packaged and not on the noxious weed list then it is OK to ship
it. Live cuttings are harder and have a heap of quarantine laws.
Tamsin
Melbourne