> Subj: [cg] Grants
>  Date: 4/27/04 1:05:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> Are you aware of any Educational grants for a Private school to develop a
> community Garden?
>
> Thank you,
> Bruce

Bruce,

I don't think an educational grant for a private, parrochial  school would be
the best way to go. (You seem to be involved with an outstanding religous,
educational facility, by the way, http://skaggscatholiccenter.org/ .)

While school gardens are all over, most educational funding for them tends to
go to public schools in poor areas, and that is usually not a constant source
of funding.

However, raising food for the hungry is a fine thing both in real world and
religious terms for our children to do. And a community garden based on this
central idea ( with maybe a cutting garden to provide altar flowers for your
chapels, might be a good idea.)

The Community Food Security Coaltition has many faith based groups across the
country. Here is the website: CFSC .

Some UTAH projects;

Gina Cornia
Utahns Against Hunger
309 E. 100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
(801) 328-2561
FAX (801) 328-2564
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tim Shultz
Utah Issues
801.521.2035 ext. 114 (voice)
801.355.7540 (fax)
800.331.5627 (toll free)
801.232.5803 (mobile)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web site: www.utahissues.org

My suggestion to you would be to look at your archdioceses's hunger programs,
and food security programs in your state.  If the Scaggs Catholic Center were
willing to set aside a  piece of land during the season ( a third or half an
acre or more) for students to cultivate food for local soup kitchens and
pantries, you might be able to get funding for tools, seeds.from church
sources.

It's amazing, but once you have the land, and water set aside, it can be like
the miracle of the loaves and the fishes.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
 Clinton Community Garden