From: Tom Dietrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:39:25 -0500
Subject: [cg] Re: Spring plantings for fall gardens

  3. Spring plantings for fall gardens (Sally McCabe)

Sally:

One recommendation I would make is more about a low maintenance
technique than plant type.  Try sheet mulching around your plants.

If everyone is not familiar with this, it basically means putting down
butcher paper (available in long rolls 2', 3' or even 4' wide), or
newspaper or  cardboard (lasts longer).  Water it when you put it down,
then keep it in place by covering it with compost or straw (avoid woody
mulches).  This keeps weeding to a minimum, plus helps retain soil
moisture.  Works especially well around big round plants like tomatoes,
squash, etc.  For bedding plants  you can still sheet mulch your
pathways to keep weeds down there.

Good luck.  I like your thinking here.

Tom

Tom Dietrich