Hi Joe,

Planting out trees is great! Something you may want to explore is raising
the seedlings yourself... If you can collect local seed or aquire it from a
local forest/reserve/farming body, growing trees can be really rewarding.
Not only do you keep the qualities that are available in your local forest
gene pool, you also get to take part in the miracle of creating a forest,
you'll have seen them as seeds!

Our household lives in Melbourne, Australia, with a tiny square of bricks
for a back yard, so as we are far from the forests we grow native trees
which we will plant with a on a degraded farm site in Castlemaine, country
north-west of where we live. There are heaps of families who do this here,
some growing native grasses, others trees and shrubs for sites both in the
city and in the countryside.

I'm sure you are aware of just how quickly the forests of the world are
being depleted, and of how great and important it is to start local, for
every native plant put back is another link in a chain that stretches around
the entire planet.

In case you are interested our organisations are the
Tree Project http://home.vicnet.net.au/~trees/
Greening Australia http://www.greeningaustralia.org.au/
and Landcare  http://www.landcareaustralia.com.au/
help with info about 'how to:'and you may find some interesting details on
their sites.

The organisation that seems to be similar in the USA is
the National Tree Trust http://www.nationaltreetrust.org/home.htm
Which community groups and individuals can join and they help you to replant
plant forests.

Good luck with your noble pursuit!

Tamsin Salehian