This is an update for interested ACGA listserve members:

Friends,

We in NYC are expecting many gardens to be bulldozed when Attorney General
Spitzer's community garden lawsuit against the City of New York is settled. Of
the 146-odd gardens in question, a goodly number will be demolished. The Hon.
Mr. Addabo, the  NYC Council Parks chair (as urged by the mayor's office and
special pleadings by local real estate interests) has killed NYC Council Intro
206,  effectively delaying hearings about gardens until after the settlement is
finalized. The NYC Council community garden hearings, if they are ever held,
look to be a post-mortem and wake rather than a viable forum to save and/or
preserve gardens.

Like  many of us who have been proponents of the previous three garden bills, I
realize that  it is no good to cry over delayed or killed community garden
legislation - enough tears will now be shed over bulldozed gardens or by
nightstick induced headaches.

FYI, the attached missive is about a Civil Disobediance training that took
place last Saturday in Brooklyn.  Please contact Mr. Mark Leger at the address
or e-mail address below if you are interested in participating in these
trainings or protests.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman