Jeneva said:
[The main reason I am so concerned about the "outdoor
storage" option is that I tried transplanting some
perennial herbs last fall, from boxes that had to be
dismantled, and it was apparently a bit too late in
the season, as not one of them came up again in the
spring.  Is there anyone from this region who has tips
about overwintering transplants in this particular
climate? ]

We also had the absolute perrenial 'hell' last year with ultra mild
Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb without any freezing weather & really nothing was completly
hardy. Then a non-spring with -30' temps (no thats not a typo!) in April &
no rain until late June. Probably outdoor storage would work for most
things most of the time.....