Please spread the following letter far and near. We would like
hundreds, possibly thousands of signatures on this letter requesting
that Monsanto's application for approval of their GMO wheat be denied.
For questions, please contact:

Jim Diamond, M.D.
Sierra Club Genetic Engineering Committee
85 Second St.
San Francisco, Ca 94105
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Friends,

Monsanto has applied to the FDA for commercial approval of genetically
engineered wheat.  This would have far-reaching effects on farmers,
consumers, and the environment.  Organic farmers will face genetic
contamination -- industrial pollution with a life of its own.
Conventional farmers will lose the right to save seed as Monsanto
enforces its patents, and also will lose overseas markets because
genetically engineered (GMO) grains aren't accepted.  Prices will fall,
as already has occurred with corn.  We all lose as the DNA of "the staff

of life" is adulterated by hacked, corporate-controlled genetic code
whose chief rationale is to ensure the sale of more RoundUp.  Both human

health and the health of the environment may be adversely affected, and
the right to choice will not exist.  We'll also get more RoundUp in our
diet. Wheat -- the amber
waves of grain in the song -- are grasses, closely related to many wild
relatives.  Gene splicing will spread from farms into nature at large
rapidly and with unpredictable longer-term results.  For instance, other
genes or alternative metabolic pathways can be affected.

Whether you agree with what I've written or only part, whether you
believe that we should hold up only a yellow flag or need a red stop
sign, please consider signing our petition.  We're seeking the broadest
possible coalition of those opposed to making our daily bread, a
resource developed since the dawn of agriculture, into Monsanto's - or
anyone's -- cash cow.

Thanks!  Signatures should be sent to,

Jim Diamond, M.D. (Postal address below)

LETTER: OPPOSE GENETICALLY ENGINEERED WHEAT!

COPY/PASTE THIS OR WRITE YOUR OWN

Dear Secretary Veneman:

Genetically engineered (also called GM) wheat raises concerns in many
sectors, both domestically and abroad. Farmers and grain industry
participants are concerned about market loss and risks to the United
States' distinguished reputation for quality wheat varieties. In
addition, farmers are concerned about agronomic impacts. Consumers are
concerned about food safety and regulatory adequacy. Many citizens are
concerned about environmental damage. Organic farmers are concerned
about negative effects on the United States' successful organic sector.
Not every organization or individual that has signed this letter shares
every one of these concerns. However, for one or more of the preceding
reasons we, the undersigned, oppose the introduction of GM wheat into
the American food supply and seed supply.

Overwhelming numbers of American farmers and consumers, as well as
customers for American wheat overseas, have said that they do not want GM wheat
at
this time. We hope the American government will act democratically, heed
the wishes of its citizens, and act in the best economic interests of
farmers.

We represent diverse constituencies and interests, but we are united in
asking that you act to prevent the introduction of genetically
engineered wheat into American food and fields.

Signed:

Individuals -- please send name, city, and State  --
Groups and organizations -- please send a signed letter or an e-mail
authorizing use of your organization's name --
to --

Jim Diamond, M.D.
Sierra Club Genetic Engineering Committee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

No addresses will be used for fund raising or shared.
Permission is given to print or forward this message to others

S-mail:
Jim Diamond, M.D.
Sierra Club Genetic Engineering Committee
85 Second St.
San Francisco, Ca 94105

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fern Gale Estrow, MS, RD, CDN
Private Consultant, Educator and Speaker
200 West 18th Street
New York, NY   10011
212/691-5154
212/627-7641 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

2002-2003 Chair-Elect Hunger and Environmental Nutrition
Dietetic Practice Group of the American Dietetic Association