My playground equipment was made of Bethlehem Steel... and it was not real
safe but then 45 years ago we did not try to keep kids so safe that we put
them at risk for worst things than a bad bump on the head.

This is another case of making equipment obsolete... now go out and buy
plastic to replace the pressure treated jungle gym in the back yard.  Poor
kids are going to be exposed in the playground but the richer kids have
their own private jungle gyms.

Walnut wood might have been more expensive but it would have been safer.
Locusts posts were used in the 1800's because they are rather impervious to
bugs, just like redwood and walnut.

Sometimes progress is just a means to have the public do some more
consuming.  Perhaps painting the pressure treated wood with some sort of
sealant would solve the problem of the arsenic.  In the 1700's women used
arsenic to whiten their skin...  So the rich were smothered in the stuff and
the poor only had starvation with which to contend.

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Hbg., Pa.