Diana,
Hopefully you have looked over the National Community Garden Survey 1996, ACGA
Monograph by Suzanne  Monroe-
Santos which should answer some of your questions. Note that the survey is from
1996, the latest available. Perhaps a
good masters or doctoral project would be to update this survey.
http://www.communitygarden.org/pubs/index.html#Mono

Also, in 1999, I compiled whatever policies were in place at that time. There
have been other policies developed since.
They are not included here:
Comprehensive Plans, Zoning Regulations, Open Space Policies and Goals
Concerning Community Gardens and Open
Green Space from the Cities of Seattle, Berkeley, Boston, and Chicago-
Information compiled by ACGA Member Lenny
Librizzi for the GreenThumb Grow Together Workshop "Lessons From Community
Gardening Programs In Other Cities"
given March 20, 1999.
http://www.communitygarden.org/links/cg_policies.pdf

New York's current policy is through the legal settlement reached between the
city and the NYS Attorney General.
Here is a copy of the agreement from the AG's website:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/environment/community_gardens_sum.html

There is still  pending legislation in the NYC City Council that would create a
policy to move forward, protecting existing
community gardens and setting up a procedure for new gardens.
http://www.council.nyc.ny.us/pdf_files/bills/int0206-2002.htm

Good luck on your research. Please post your results to this list.
Thanks.
Lenny Librizzi

2/17/03 7:34:53 PM, Diana Kanter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>My name is Diana Kanter.  I'm new to the group, but
>found a great thread from 1999 regarding policies
>other cities have implemented to protect community
>gardens.  I would like to revive that conversation.
>
>Milwaukee Urban Gardens, a local land trust, has
>requested help from the University of
>Wisconsin-Milwaukee Urban Planning Department students
>to investigate policies that other cities have
>implemented to protect and conserve community gardens.
> Any policies you know of can greatly help our cause.
>
>Another issue I would like to find information on is
>how economic conditions such as the ones that we are
>facing today affect policies that seek to protect and
>conserve community garden.
>
>Finally, any feedback on from groups in Milwaukee who
>have tried to create community gardens is more than
>welcome.  We are looking for input, so we may
>hopefully make the process better.
>
>Thank you for your indulgance in this topic and thanks
>in advance for all your help!
>
>Diana Kanter
>Urban PlanningStudent, University of WI-Milwaukee
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(414) 429-2053

>Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for Valentine's Day
>http://shopping.yahoo.com

>The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's
>services to community gardeners. To
learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to