I have just read that when plants are sprayed with chemicals, most of the
absorbed chemical goes into the seeds.
So, if you're drinking non-organically grown coffee, guess what? And if you're
composting with non-organically grown coffee, unless you already drank the
agro-chemicals, you are adding them to your garden.

Now, amounts, etc, can be contested, but none the less....

Be very wary and very conscious about what you are putting in your garden, and
choose organic.
And it's not necessarily more expensive. Starbucks brand coffee is negotiably
cheaper than most organically grown brands.

Again, the best way to generate compost materials is to grow them yourself.
There is much less effort this way, and you know the materials are clean. E.g.
corn is a great source of carbon. Harvest your sweet or flour corn, and leave
the stalks to go brown in the ground. This will exponentially increase the
lignon content of the stalks, which is a key part of making good compost, thus
soil structure.

You can learn more about growing your own compost from the book, "How To Grow
More Vegetables."
Available at www.bountifulgardens.org.

Written by  w <http://www.growbiointensive.org> ww.growbiointensive.org

Happy Chemical-Free Gardening!

Paco Verin
Citywide Project Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 N. 20th St.
Philadelphia, PA  19103
215-988-8885