I do not dispute that powdered milk is processed. I just find it a little hard to believe that in the US, such a product is effectively "industrial waste" while the same manufacturers make "real" powdered milk that they sell abroad, but not here.

It just sounds a bit too much like the 9000 urban myths and legends that my family are constantly bombarding me with, despite my best efforts to convince them to stop. As I could not find any info on this allegation on Snopes or by doing a google, I requested further information on this.

Pamela

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 1/30/2003
I'm not responding the the issue of `industrial process', but in fact,
powdered milk is heavily processed. It's partially condensed under a
vacuum, flash pasteurized, (175 F for 20-30 seconds), and then sprayed or
atomized into 400 F air to remove the remaining liquid. After this,
additives are mixed into it along with whatever contaminants are in the
factory.

Can anyone point to an objective test that compares the nutrients before
and after?

My rule of thumb is: nutrients are inversely proportional to the amount of
processing, however that inverse relationship may tend to be exponential
with temperature of the process. Translation: minimize processing.
Further translation: harvest it; wipe off the dirt; eat it.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
Click to bookmark this address http://www.amplepower.com