I have to admit I read with great amusement Adam's post regarding Johnny and the (symbolic) scissors warning. After reading many posts about tires (which we previously rejected for our garden, FYI), I decided to take a moment and share with you that we are in full bloom here at the CNAP Community Garden in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
First, let me say that by training I am a Clinical Psychologist, and the last time I grew anything was in 5th grade, when my neighbor Pat and I threw a potato in the ground and watched its progress (yes, it produced small potatoes). Though I live in a natural climate of lush, lazy growing seasons, it took a big risk in job change to end up helping create 30 beds of vegetables, a Community Garden Board, and a committee of representatives from organizations around this county who are planning to build vegetable beds to combat hunger. Today at lunch I sat under a tree in the garden and marveled at the head of the sun flower, which was in fact turned towards the sun in the southwestern sky. I watched that flower being planted from seed and crowed three days later when it had already broken earth. Today it is as tall and beautiful as any which grace the fields of Southern Spain. What I have learned in just a few months from the garden has taken me down such a diverse path from what I learned in the past 20 years as a psychologist; no matter how often I renewed my humanistic pledge that all people have the capacity for empowerment, that pledge was constantly challenged by witnessing so much emotional suffering. In this garden, however, I witness a constant celebration of growth, community and renewal. When we were first preparing the ground for this project, I was inspired by reading about Anna up there in Minnesota, and the wondrous work she has facilitated. Today, I am happy to be following her path, albeit modestly. Please come see a bit of our progress at http://shss.nova.edu/CNAP and click to view our photo album. Happy 2005. Fran ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

