Zach,
The Kiddie Pool idea is very cheap.  Around here, you can pick them up free on
the curbs after the summer season (we are a Consumer Nation).

Follow the directions in creating these plastic planters.  Drill the holes
slightly up from the bottom to create a reservior below.  This will help
alleviate the amount of watering required.

We are testing a mini version of this type of planter at our garden.  Its a
Gardeners Supply self-contained planter.  It has a slit on the side where you
fill its reservior.  The Tomato Success Kit comes with everything except
tomato.  They even sent a bag of organic fertilizer with it.  I made a mistake
of planting two (2) Bush Goliath tomatoes in it so its requiring me to refill
the reservior almost daily.  It only gets noon to dusk sun.  Right now, we have
a crazy Mockingbird who built her nest in it within a 24 hours period and it
now it has 2 eggs.  She and her little ones are going to freak out when their
tomato "tree" cycles out.

Our planter can be seen at...  http://www.casagarden.com/gs_03.htm
To watch it grow, review at...  http://www.casagarden.com/videos/gs_garden.html

These tomatoes are extremely healthy.  We haven't done anything except water
them.  I've harvested 4 lbs so far from it. Next year, we hope to begin
offering these type planters to our senior citizens who live in retirement
towers.

Be aware, those out there considering Kiddie pools as raised bed planters on
rooftops.  Because of the amount of sunlight that you will probably receive,
this environment is definitely a "heat island".  Plus, you may receive more
wind movement which will create drier conditions (depends how sheltered you
are).  The more you are able to plant, the less the heat island effect.  That's
a good thing.

Hope this helps,  Jim

From: "Zach Youngerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:25:03 -0400