Dear Andy,

The 1996 ACGA survey is probably the last time a serious nose count was done
of US community gardens - not that it isn't important, but that there has been
nobody who has been seriously taking the stats - we're all either trying to
save gardens in our own cities and towns.  The links on our website are
probably a 10th of all the community gardens in the US - many do not have a web
presence or are one season, food security start ups.

That said, I believe that for the purpose of a "factoid" you could say that
the number hovers, depending on bulldozings and new start ups, between 5 -8
thousand community gardens. A few CG's have been continually operated since
their
inception as Victory Gardens ( there's a 61 year old garden in Minnesota that
has that distinction), a large number date to the early to mid seventies like
the Clinton Community garden  <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton Community Garden</A> ,
and new gardens keep popping up every year.

Demographically, there seem to be more volunteer food security focused
community gardens poping up in the Southern part of the United States, like the
CASA
Community Garden in Alabama <A HREF="http://www.casagarden.com/";>CASA link</A>
 and Arkansas <A HREF="http://www.arkansashunger.org/gardens.htm";>Arkansas CG
link</A> .  Poor people and folks of  good will and/or of faith based
organizations  in southern states seem to feel comfortable with growing food
for the
hungry on a volunteer basis to make up for governmental program short-falls.

The other area of growth seems to be in middle class communities where
community gardens become ad hoc volunteer run public green space in addition to
their food security focus.

Hope this has helped.

Adam Honigman
Volunteer,