<< ubj:  [cg] LA Community Gardens--roster, highlights
 Date:  7/25/03 2:32:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvonne Savio)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 File:  7-24-03.xls (49664 bytes)
 DL Time (44000 bps): < 1 minute

 Hi, Kevin Lampone and Adam Honigman--and everyone else interested in LA's
 community gardens--

 I've attached our roster of active community gardens.  This is a more
 current version than what's on our website.

 Thanks, Adam, for beating me to the response!  Always nice to have other
 folks network our info, especially in case I'm not available (e.g., I'm
 leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks, including next weekend's ACGA conference and
 board meeting!)

 Kevin and others who might visit in the future--
 1.      Try to contact me sooner before your trip, so we can discuss your
 preferences on the phone, and I can make some recommendations of specific
 gardens that might serve you better
 2.      Here're some highlight gardens and their special traits, for you to
 choose to visit--
 --Altadena--largish garden, friendly group of ethnically diverse folks
 --Beacon House--half-way house for former alcoholics, garden produce feeds
 residents
 --Crenshaw--newly vibrant, tiny garden of diverse ethnics and languages
 whose only common "language" is gardening
 --Echo Park--most active in fundraising and producing derivative products
 (e.g., honey), classic transformation from dilapidated "crack" house to
 thriving garden.
 --Enrique Noguera--beautiful design and construction by landscape
 architect, partnership with neighborhood police department
 --Food Bank--across from LA Regional Food Bank, 300+ plots of mostly
 Spanish-speakers, lots of intra-gardener selling of Spanish ethnic products
 (nopales, etc)
 --Francis Avenue--tiny inner-city lot of Spanish speakers, garden
 originally sponsored by ARCO and neighborhood church, now successfully
 almost-sustainable by grants supporting garden manager and cultural
 outreach manager
 --North Hollywood High School--thriving partnership with next-door high
 school horticulture department and student community service requirement,
 and with Dave Wilson Nursery (fruit trees)
 --Ocean View Farms--one of the oldest (30+ years), largest (400+ plots),
 and most organized (committee structure)
 --Proyecto Jardin--initiated by doctor from hospital next door for
 horticulture therapy; truly communal--no individual plots; yoga classes,
 state-of-the-art exercise mat, mural, wrought-iron gate
 --Rosewood--small inner-city pocket garden highlighted by city councilman
 --Solano Canyon--literally at a freeway off-ramp, combined with Urban
 Forest and Orchard (UFO!) project funded to develop horticultural ,
 managing, and life skills in conjunction with Dome Village homeless shelter.
 --Summit Avenue--effective partnering with city services and student
 community service requirement.
 --Vermont Square--exemplary effort by one passionate gardener intent on
 fostering neighborhood participation

 About 50 of the 60 active gardens have resident Master Gardeners--I
 repeatedly "badger" the garden managers to send some of their gardeners
 through our Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program, with their required
 volunteer time accomplished within their gardens and developing workshop
 opportunities for other MGs, hence fostering great networking,
 communication, and dissemination of our University of California
 Cooperative Extension science-research-based horticultural information and
 techniques.

 Yvonne Savio
 Common Ground Garden Program Manager
 University of California Cooperative Extension in Los Angeles County
 4800 E. Cesar Chavez Ave., Los Angeles 90022
 Phone:          323-260-3407
 Fax:            323-881-0067
 Email:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Website:        celosangeles.ucdavis.edu (click on "Common Ground Garden
 Program")
 Master Gardener Email Gardening Helpline:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Master Gardener Phone Gardening Helpline:  323-260-3238

 Volunteers of the Common Ground Garden Program help low-income and
 limited-resource county residents to grow and eat more nutritious
 vegetables and fruits.  Programs include Master Gardener volunteers
 (seasonal gardening presentations) and Fresh From The Garden volunteers
 (simple nutrition and food safety presentations).  We work primarily with
 community gardens, school gardens, and homeless and battered women's
shelters.