Without knowing all the details on the new CG, maybe this particular garden
has large plots, 25' by 25' or larger.

As Leslie stated, maybe the startup charges for the garden is high and the
funds have
to be raised in some manner to implement it.

I would cruise over the garden's rules and regulations to get an idea if its
organizers seem to be on the up and up in establishing a CG.
If the CG does not have rules/regulations, that should send up a red flag
immediately.

I would politely inquire where the funds raised via rental fees (etc) will
be spent;
not only the "start up" expenses but also the estimated yearly operating
expenses.  Perhaps
some startup costs can be reduced or eliminated by donations (private and
otherwise).

Maybe it is possible to reduce rental fees by doing garden maintenance
(volunteerism).

Some CGs mandate volunteerism to its gardeners.  Thats a good thing.  It
ensures a
well maintained garden.

Hope it works out for you,

Jim