ACGA will be holding two separate training on Friday and Saturday, August
27-28 -- one in Cincinnati, OH and the other in Dearborn, MI  Travel funds
are available.

The following are comments from attendees of the workshop in Baltimore in
March:
"Invaluable. I have never attended a workshop that was as targeted to my
needs, and that empowered me to move forward in lots of different areas of
community organizing and organizational infrastructure growth as this
workshop did. I walked away feeling that I could not only lead a workshop
(which I had never even really thought about doing before) but that I could
learn and use everything that was in the booklet on my own."

"The organizers were so generous in terms of allowing us to use the material
elsewhere, as long as we provide attribution and cite the source of the
material. The curriculum really is truly brilliant. Touche!"

"The strategies covered in the Growing Communities Workshop have already
helped me in working with my community association.  We plan to use some of
the workshop activities and icebreakers in our association meetings, and as
tools for building participation in a community garden that we are planning.
Thanks!"

Below are pasted the registration forms for each of the workshops:
OHIO
Growing Communities Workshop
August 27 & 28, 2004 (attendees should plan to attend both days)
Civic Garden Center of Greater Cincinnati - Cincinnati, Ohio
Join the American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) and The Civic
Garden Center for an in-depth, hands-on workshop based on the ACGA’s
curriculum for leadership development, Growing Communities: Community
Building and Organizational Development through Community Gardening. Learn
proven strategies community organizers use to develop dynamic leaders and
create strong communities through a participatory approach to community
building.  You will not only learn the principles and practices of community
building, but learn how to pass these on to others in your community by
conducting your own workshops. This two-day workshop will cover:
·         Community Organizing
·         Leadership Development
·         Grassroots Fundraising Basics
·         Communications Planning
·         Coalition Building
Participants receive the Growing Communities Curriculum, a 300+ page
resource, including a set of curriculum materials that walk the reader
through the process of conducting training workshops. In addition to the
topics covered in this workshop, the Curriculum also addresses Diversity,
Asset-Based Community Development, Meeting Facilitation and Group
Decision-Making, Developing a Board of Directors, and Grassroots
Fundraising - Specific Strategies.
        When:  Friday, August 27, 8:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (breakfast and lunch
provided)
AND   Saturday, August 28, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. (breakfast and lunch provided)
Workshop cost is $45.
Space limited to 25 participants.
Registration and advance payment required!  Return form with check.
For more information or directions: contact Mary Ann Westendorf,
Neighborhood Gardens Coordinator, Civic Garden Center, 513.221.0981 or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For scholarship information, contact Betsy Johnson [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
617-536-1711
Registration for Growing Communities Workshop
American Community Gardening Association and Civic Garden Center of Greater
Cincinnati
August 27, 28, 2004 – Civic Garden Center

Yes!  I would like to attend.
Enclosed find my check for $45 payable to Civic Garden Center
No, I am not able to attend, but I would like the Growing Communities
curriculum for $35.
Name ________________________________________________
Address______________________________________________
Phone _____________________Email:_____________________
Return form to:    Mary Ann Westendorf
                               Civic Garden Center
                                2715 Reading Rd.
                               Cincinnati, OH 45206-1617
_________________
MICHIGAN
Please join the American Community Gardening Association &
the Michigan Coalition of Community Gardeners for the…

GROWING COMMUNITIES WORKSHOP

Who:    Leaders, educators, volunteers, and supporters of community gardening
and greening
What:   Two-day leadership workshop on community building, leadership, and
organizational development through community gardening
When:   August 27- 28, 2004 (Must attend both Friday and Saturday)Fri Aug
27th—8:30 am-6:00 pm; Sat Aug 28th—8:30 am-4:30 pm
Where:  Environmental Interpretive Center at University of Michigan-Dearborn
Cost:   $10-$25 per individual, sliding scale based on ability to pay(Advanced
registration required)

Join the American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) and the Michigan
Coalition of Community Gardeners (locally hosted by Detroit Agricultural
Network and Growing Hope) for an in-depth, hands-on workshop based on the
ACGA’s curriculum for leadership development, “Growing Communities:
Community Building and Organizational Development through Community
Gardening.” Learn proven strategies that community organizers use to develop
dynamic leaders and create strong communities through a participatory
approach to community building. You will learn the principles and practices
of community building, and how to pass these techniques on to others in your
community by conducting your own workshops.

This two-day workshop will cover these topics:  Community Organizing,
Leadership Development, Grassroots Fundraising Basics, Communications
Planning, Coalition Building.

Participants receive the “Growing Communities Curriculum,” a 300+ page
resource workbook, which includes curriculum materials that walk the reader
through the process of conducting training workshops. The Curriculum also
addresses Diversity, Asset-Based Community Development, Meeting Facilitation
and Group Decision-Making, Developing a Board of Directors, and Grassroots
Fundraising - Specific Strategies.

CONTACT:

Ashley Atkinson (Greening of Detroit) phone 313.237.8736, email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Amanda Edmonds (Growing Hope), phone 734.330.7576, email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please find workshop location/directions, lodging/transportation,
and registration forms on the following pages!

WORKSHOP LOCATION INFORMATION

·       The Environmental Interpretive Center on the campus of University of
Michigan-Dearborn
·       4901 Evergreen Road, Dearborn 48128
·       In the northwest end of campus at the corner of Montieth Boulevard and
Fairlance Drive
·       Free visitor parking is available in the Montieth Parking Structure
adjacent to the Interpretive Center

REGISTRATION INFORMATION

·       Registration is on a sliding scale between $10 - $25, depending on what
each person can afford for the two-day workshop.
·       Registration includes a copy of “Growing Communities Curriculum,” a $35
value.
·       Space is limited to 30 participants.
·       Advance registration is required but you may pay upon arrival.  No
refunds.
·       Questions?  Contact Ashley Atkinson (Greening of Detroit) phone
313.237.8736, email [EMAIL PROTECTED] or Amanda Edmonds (Growing Hope),
phone 734.330.7576, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TRANSPORTATION, FOOD, & LODGING INFORMATION

·       Morning refreshments and lunch will be provided on both days
·       Plan to enjoy a no-host group dinner at a local restaurant on Friday
evening
·       Registrants make own transportation arrangements.
·       For ACGA travel scholarship information, contact Betsy Johnson at
617-236-5200 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
·       Registrants make own lodging arrangements.
·       Free lodging is available at the Boggs Center and Day House
(hostel-style)
and with hosts in the Detroit area.  Contact Ashley for more information.

REGISTRATION FOR AUGUST 27-28 GROWING COMMUNITIES WORKSHOP
Presented by the American Community Gardening Association &
the Michigan Coalition of Community Gardeners

Name
Organization
Street Address
City/State/Zip
Phone
Fax
Email

____ Yes!  I would like to attend.  I am mailing this registration form and
my check (made payable to Growing Hope) to Amanda Edmonds, Growing Hope, PO
Box 980129, Ypsilanti, MI  48198.  We’ll call or email to confirm that we’ve
received your registration and reserved your spot.

___Sadly, I cannot attend.  BUT, I would like to purchase the Growing
Communities curriculum for $35.  I am mailing this form and my $35 check
(made payable to ACGA) to ACGA, 51 Chambers Street #228, New York, NY 10007.
(Workshop participants will receive the curriculum for free as part of the
training)