From: Lisa Coven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:24:50 -0400
Subject: RE: [cg] Fwd: Ashland community garden questions

Hi everyone,
I had a question/concern that is somewhat related to gardeners that
garden for many years. I was hoping to get some feedback about
volunteers who have an overwhelming sense of ownership of the garden
area and feel the need to be in control of every situation surrounding
the garden site.  I am battling trying to balance out the good and the
bad.  While I appreciate this volunteer who has been extremely active
over the past ten years,  there have been many problems that have arisen
and I often get phone calls from other gardeners complaining about the
military like conditions and favoritism that runs through the garden.
This one volunteer definitely does a lot for the garden (he calls
himself the head volunteer- there are about 10 other main volunteers
that this site) but the site seems to be losing volunteers and
gardeners. This is the first year that all the garden plots were not
rented.
How do I balance the good and the bad?  Have other site dealt with this
ownership issue and need for control?
Thanks so much for any feedback that you can offer.

Lisa Coven
Conservation Legacy Program
Burlington Area Community Gardens
Burlington Parks and Recreation Department
645 Pine Street, Suite B
Burlington, Vermont 05401
802- 863-0420
fax- 802-862-8027
www.enjoyburlington.com

>>> "Sandy Pernitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 7/7/2005 2:06:17 PM

We battle this perception all the time with our Parks department and
have made baby steps over the years getting them to understand
gardening
is recreation!  Someone once said to me, what is the difference
between
plot holders and sports uses my recreation is not sport related and
they
"hold up" large plots of land for a very long time.  I thought this a
good come back to that concern so thought I would share and I totally
agree about the community building element of those who are your elder
gardeners they are the twine that binds.

Thanks for your time,
Sandy Pernitz
Community Garden Coordinator
P-Patch Program/Dept. of Neighborhoods
"Human felicity is produced not so much by great pieces of good
fortune
that seldom happen, as by little advantages that occur every day."
Benjamin Franklin
The Department of Neighborhoods' Arctic Building offices are
relocating
to the Seattle Municipal Tower.  We will be at our new location on
Monday, July 25, 2005.
City of Seattle
Department of Neighborhoods
700 5th Avenue Suite 1700
PO Box 94649
Seattle, WA 98124-4649
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
206-684-0284
Until the 25th we are still housed at
700 3rd Ave, Suite 400 98104

>>> "Alliums" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 7/7/2005 6:29:59 AM >>>
Hi, Folks!

Patrick wrote:
> One of our park commissioners has expressed a concern that a
gardener
could
> hypothetically hold a plot for decades thereby locking up public
land
for
use
> by others.  Even though this could happen, I suspect that it is
highly
> unlikely.

I agree with Adam -- with society as mobile as it is, the chances of
someone
tying up a plot for decadesis very small.

HOWEVER, if you've got a person who is that embedded in the community
that
they are living there for decades and they are a dedicated gardener
who
maintains their plot year in, year out, you WANT that person in your
garden
badly because such a community-minded person will guide your newer
gardeners
not only in the ways of gardening, but in the ways of the community --
they
will know everything about everyone and everyplace and be an
incredible
resource to everyone who comes to your garden.

Community gardens are all about building social capital and if you've
got
such a resource, the information and stabilizing influence they will
be
in
the community will far outweigh the "locking up" of public land
because
they've kept their same plot for 35 years!

Have a few "open to the public" events per year -- work days in common
areas, harvest festivals, whatever so that if folks think they want to
garden, they have access -- 3/4 of them don't really want to put the
time in
gardening, but they want to feel like they COULD if they wanted to --
fulfill that need (and help spread your social capital) and you
shouldn't
have many complaints.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator
St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden and
Labyrinth

A mission of
St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA
19460

ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA
and
to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org